Challenge 1: Be More Active
We live in an era where we can get just about everything we need to accomplish for the day without really moving. But our bodies are meant to move, to be more active. This doesn’t mean you have to hit the gym every day, just participate in any activity that gets you moving. The first challenge is to be more active. Listed below are the tasks and goals to get you active and start earning you money. Don't forget to check out the step competition too!
The following tasks can be used to start accumulate points for the grand prize of $1000. Be sure to report your progress using the "Submit Your Progress" button on the left.
- Run or Jog. 20 points per mile.
- Bike ride. 5 points per mile.
- Swim laps. 35 points per mile.
- Complete a full 7-min workout video. 10 points per video.
- Walk 10,000 steps per day. 15 points per day.
- Climb 15 flights of stairs per day. 15 points per day.
- Complete any of the above tasks everyday for one week. 50 points (one time).
- Complete any of the above tasks everyday for two weeks. 100 points (one time).
- Complete any of the above tasks everyday for one month. 200 points (one time).
- Complete any of the above tasks everyday for two months. 300 points (one time).
- Take first place for the step competition for the month of August or September. 50 Points.
- Take second place in the step competition for the month of August or September. 25 points.
- Take third place in the step competition for the month of August or September. 10 points.
- Do 10 min of Yoga. 5 points.
- Do a lunge workout. 1 point per lunge.
- Do a squat workout. 1 point per squat.
- Do pushups. 1 point per pushup.
- Do crunches. 1 point per crunch.
- Participate in the "On-Site Activities". 50 points.
Choose one goal from the list provided below or create your own goal and track your progress. If you complete 85% or more of your goal you will earn $20 off your yearly medical premiums.
- Be active for 150 minutes each week.
- Dedicate time twice a week to exercise for 30 min or more:
- Track a run.
- Track a bike ride.
- Track a hike.
- Track a swim.
- Get your heart rate up by completing a workout video.
- Stretch and strengthen.
- Play a sport.
- Climb 15 flights of stairs per day.*
- Walk 10,000 steps a day.*
- Create your own goal.*
*Must complete 50 out of 60 days in the challenge months.
The Wellness Committee has not yet selected an on-site activity for this challenge yet. Please check back later.
Tracking your progress
Get outside and go for a walk, run, bike, hike, swim, and/or play a sport. Keep a detailed log or use a fitness tracker and see how your behaviors change over time. A GPS watch, Fitbit, or smartphone will provide you with the most detail about your progress and is the preferred method. Logs should consist of start and stop times, and any other measurable factor that can be tracked over time. Factors include: distance, elevation gain, dumbbell size, equipment setting, heart rate and more. If you have an idea and want to get it approved, please click here.
Fitness Log: Click here to download.
Step 1: Register. Use the link on the side bar to register for this program. You only need to register once. If you have already done so, even for a different challenge, you can skip this step.
Step 2: Choose a goal. You can choose any goal you want that can improve your physical wellbeing. Goals must be able to be tracked and logged in order to qualify for the Premium Discount Program.
Step 3: Track Your Progress. Remember that you can participate in both the overall grand prize program that consists of reporting the tasks listed above and the Premium Discount Program that earns you $20 off your yearly medical premiums. You can use apps like Runkeeper, Nike+ Run Club, Pacer, or any other fitness app that logs your progress and details. You must use the Fitness log and be sure it is filled out completely. You will need to submit your Fitness log and any proof of completed tasks. This data will be used to fill out the "Submit Your Progress" form (see step 6).
Step 4: Join the Step Competition (optional). The step completion is a fun way to compare how many steps you take each day with your co-workers and the rest of the company.
Step 5: Participate in Activities. Each location will have a joint activity night that is free to employees and can range from yoga to hiking. Just for showing up you earn 50 point! These activities are chosen by a committee of employees. To suggest an activities reach out to your GMs or a member of the Wellness Committee.
Step 6: Submit your progress. At the end of the challenge you will get a reminder email to submit your progress. This can be done using the "Submit Your Progress" button on the side bar. Be sure to include all the required information to receive credit for your hard work.
Step 7: Get ready for the next challenge. Click here to view Challenge 2.