Challenge 3: Sleep Better
Sleep is the bodies way of healing and repairing itself. Going to bed at the same time and sleeping long enough can help you think better, feel better, and improve overall health. The use of a sleep app can track how well you sleep and can offer insights on activities that help or harm your sleep. Don't forget to check out the step competition too!
The following tasks can be used to start accumulate points for the grand prize of $1000. Be sure to report your progress using the "Submit Your Progress" button on the left.
- Log your sleep time (when you go to bed, when you get up). 1 point per entry.
- Go to bed and get up at the same time every day for 2 weeks. 10 points.
- Do not eat anything more than 3 hours before you go to sleep. 1 point per day.
- Get 150 minutes of exercise in each week. 30 Points.
- Drink 12 cups of water each day. 5 points per day.
- Expose yourself to 30 minutes of sunlight each day, preferably in the mornings. 5 points per day
- Remove TV watching (or other electric devices) late at night. 1 point per day.
Choose one goal from the list provided below or create your own goal and track your progress. If you meet your goal you will earn $20 off your yearly medical premiums.
Complete goal on at least 45 out of 60 days of one of the followings:
- Don’t use your phone, a tv, or any other electronic device 30 minutes prior to going to sleep.
- Cut your caffeine intake.
- If you do a work out, do it at least 4 hours prior to sleeping.
- Eat heavier lunches and lighter dinners.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Exercise for 30 min each day.
- Dedicate time through out the day to rest and destress (around 10 minutes every 3 hours).
- Use soft white noise.
The Wellness Committee has not yet selected an on-site activity for this challenge yet. Please check back later.
Tracking your progress
Keep a log of when you go to sleep and wake up, write down how you felt throughout the night. Set a goal to change one factor and experiment to see if it changes your sleep behaviors. Use the Challenge 3 Log to help keep track of your goals and progress. If you have an idea and want to get it approved, please click here.
Step 1: Register. Use the link on the side bar to register for this program. You only need to register once. If you have already done so, even for a different challenge, you can skip this step.
Step 2: Choose a goal. You can choose any goal you want that can improve your sleep. Goals must be able to be tracked and logged in order to qualify for the Premium Discount Program.
Step 3: Track Your Progress. You can use apps like Sleep++, Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock, Auto Sleep, Calm, Headspace, Simple Habit, or any other app that logs your progress and details. You may also use a paper log as long as it contains start and stop time of daily sleep, and one other measurable factor such as water intake, weather, physical activity, step count, hours worked, meditation time, or any other factor that may effect your sleep.
Step 4: Join the Step Competition. The step completion is a fun way to compare how many steps you take each day with your co-workers and the rest of the company.
Step 5: Participate in Activities. Each location will have a joint activity night that is free to employees and can range from yoga to a sleep specialist. These activities are chosen by a committee of employees. To suggest an activities reach out to your GMs.
Step 6: Submit your progress. At the end of the challenge you will get a reminder email to submit your progress. This can be done using the "Submit Your Progress" button on the side bar. Be sure to include all the required information to receive credit for your hard work.
Step 7: Get ready for the next challenge. Click here to view Challenge 4.